Yet another one of those news stories that makes me sick enough to think about that it's hard to bring myself to seek out information about it. Anyway, I did, and I learned something kind of fascinating: they're plopping a very fancy box on top of one of the two leaks to try to contain the leak and draw the leaking oil up into a tanker. The infographic:

Nobody has any clue whether this will really work, but it's an interesting idea. Here's hoping.

Nobody has any clue whether this will really work, but it's an interesting idea. Here's hoping.
no subject
Date: 2010-05-07 07:38 pm (UTC)I keep thinking of the Earth Day sketch from 30 Rock. They have a model of the Earth and it gets destroyed. Tina's character yells "okay, we've ruined the Earth. Can we get another one?" Then they go to closing credits.
no subject
Date: 2010-05-07 07:48 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-05-07 07:53 pm (UTC)Oil Box
Date: 2010-05-07 08:08 pm (UTC)Do you know if the pipe leaking out just the oil that was in the pipe when it all fell down, or is the pipe still getting oil from the underground reservoir?
Re: Oil Box
Date: 2010-05-07 08:32 pm (UTC)Re: Oil Box
Date: 2010-05-07 08:33 pm (UTC)The Valdez spill was 270,000 barrels of oil. This is estimated to be 5,000-24,000 barrels per day forever. Nobody knows how much is spilling because it's all underwater. This containment device is actually a clever way to keep it from continuing to fuck shit up. Their long term plan is to drill a relief well into the original well; they began drilling this on Sunday, and expect it to take three months.
They're also skimming the oil off of the surface where possible, and using oil dispersant chemicals (http://www.amsa.gov.au/Marine_Environment_Protection/National_plan/General_Information/Dispersants_Information/FAQ_Oil_Spills_Dispersants.asp) to try to break the stuff up into droplets and make it less damaging. Nobody really knows what the ecological effects of oil dispersants are.
Re: Oil Box
Date: 2010-05-07 10:12 pm (UTC)And, I just read that it's dumb luck that there haven't been any strong winds/waves pushing oil onto the many nearby shores of wildlife preserves. One got hit the other day, lightly.
I hope the good that comes out of this is Major Oil Drilling Reform, so that we at least catch up to the safety back-ups that Venezuela and Norway have in place.
*feels nervous thinking about all that oil* *wants there to be some huge kind of breadcrumb that sops it up*
no subject
Date: 2010-05-07 10:06 pm (UTC)How upsetting, to think there's Nothing To Do. And then I heard about the big box, and things felt at least a little better. *sigh*
Suddenly I'm thinking of bullets of putty/liquid glue/goo, that are shot through the water, to Splat on their leak target! ;p
no subject
Date: 2010-05-08 09:59 pm (UTC)I read today that the plan has failed. I'm hoping this means it has temporarily failed, and that they're looking for a solution to make it work. I'm trying to stay aprised while at the same time kind of ignore the situation because it makes me feel sick and powerless.